Once believed to be almost eliminated as a public health risk, infectious diseases remain a leading cause of death worldwide. Despite incredible advances in medicine, our good health is still at risk.
The Canadian Foundation for Infectious Diseases (CFID) is committed to improving the health of Canadians and people worldwide through the support of research and dissemination of knowledge pertaining to infectious diseases. It is a registered charitable organization, operating as a public foundation under the Income Tax Act. The charitable registration number is 123651333RR0001. It was established in 1989.
Working in partnership with the Association of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Disease Canada (AMMI Canada) and other strategic partners and supporters, CFID will hasten the discovery of innovative solutions to better understand, prevent, control and treat the hundreds of existing and emerging infectious diseases that threaten our good health. CFID pledges to use every dollar raised responsibly and productively to aid the identification, prevention, control and treatment of infectious diseases.
Our major activities include:
- Fund-raising to support our mission and goals
- Promote knowledge translation and dissemination
- Fund innovative research
- Educate through lectures, seminars and webinars
- Interact with the public through education and advocacy
- Attract and retain new investigators within the field
- Mentor and support students and trainees who are our future
- Cooperate with other organizations who share our common goals